- Manually and semi-automatically dose water into reactors using two pumps with different delivery rates and a water meter.
- Manually and semi-automatically dose raw materials (chemicals) into reactors No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 from two tanks using a dosing pump and a raw material counter.
- Manually and semi-automatically fill the jackets of reactors No. 1, and No. 2 with water.
- Manually and semi-automatically control and adjust the speed of stirrers in reactors No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3.
- Manually and semi-automatically agitate raw materials with the air in reactors No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, and No. 4.
- Manually and semi-automatically monitor the coolant temperature in the jacket and the temperature of raw materials in reactors No. 1, and No. 2.
Two criteria —domestic manufacturer and low equipment cost — were taken into account when choosing the ACS (automated control system) equipment. Given this, the automated control system is created based on the OWEN PLC110 programmable logic controller, I/O modules from the OWEN Mx10 line, frequency converters, and an operator panel. The ACS comprises the control panel, actuators, and sensors.
The main menu of the operator’s panel consists of eight sections: REACTOR 1, REACTOR 2, REACTOR 3, REACTOR 4, MNEMONICS, LOG, GRAPHS, and SYSTEM. The operator can use REACTOR 1…4 screens to control the sub-processes related to the corresponding reactor, i.e. water and raw materials dosing, stirrer control, air agitation control, water temperature control in the jacket and product temperature control in the reactor. The control is performed semi-automatically: before starting any sub-process, the operator shall manually open/close the manual gates and valves and start the required sub-process for the reactor selected.
MNEMONICS screen displays the state of actuators (pumps and valves), readings of temperature sensors, water and raw material meter values. Also, there are navigation buttons M, R1, R2, R3, and R4 used for switching between MENU, REACTOR 1...4 sections respectively, and the button RES for resetting the alarm (sound). In the upper right corner, there is the MANUAL CONTROL button. When this button is pressed, all actuators switch to manual control mode.
Manual control is enabled by pressing the corresponding actuator. LOG screen displays event logs regarding processes and accidents. GRAPHS screen shows graphs indicating water temperature in the jacket and product temperature in reactors No. 1, and No. 2. The operator panel settings — including date, time, and access password — can be changed using the SYSTEM screen.